With our team of board-certified specialists and specialized facilities, Rhinebeck Equine can accommodate the needs of pregnant mares at increased risk for complications, minimizing the risk to mare and foal. We strive for the best possible outcome for mare and foal and can provide the highest level of intensive care to the mare or a critically ill foal when needed.
High-risk pregnancies include those with a history of dystocia, placentitis, premature placental separation (“red bag delivery”), premature delivery, prolonged gestational length, septic foals, or foals with neonatal encephalopathy (“maladjusted” or “dummy” foals), as well as mares suffering from severe systemic disease during the current pregnancy including colic, pneumonia, neurologic disease, body wall ruptures or hernias, and abnormal abdominal enlargement.
All foalings are attended by our team of boarded specialists. Monitoring is tailored to the individual needs of the mare and foal and may include:
- Daily physical examinations of the mare Daily evaluation of vulva, udder development, and pelvic ligament relaxation
- 24-hour-a-day monitoring for delivery
- Turn-out daily, unless the mare’s problems or weather conditions preclude exercise
- Reproductive examination of the mare: palpation and ultrasonography per rectum to evaluate fetal position, fetal fluids, and placental health; episiotomy (open Caslicks) if needed; a post-foaling reproductive exam
- Trans-abdominal ultrasound is conducted at admission and as needed to evaluate fetal position, fetal heart rate and activity, fetal fluids, and placental health
- Maternal blood work on admission and post-foaling
- Evaluation of fetal heart rate using fetal ECG and telemetry, if indicated
- Evaluation of fetal membranes
- Complete evaluation and monitoring of the foal with intensive care capabilities if required
Our facilities & equipment include:
- Specialized stalls allowing for intensive care of the mare and foal without disrupting their bonding
- Oxygen for each stall
- Facilities to hoist and sling mares with special problems or needs during foaling
- Electrocardiography (ECG) for mares or foals
- Capnography and pulse oximetry
- Blood pressure monitors
- Intravenous infusion pumps
- Forced hot-air warming systems for foals
Please contact us to discuss your mare and an estimate for care.